Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Week 5 EOC | The Web's New Gold Mine: Your Secrets

In all honesty, the article, “The Web’s New Gold Mine: Your Secrets” written by Julia Angwin, really opened my eyes. Before reading the article, I knew tracking online activity was nothing out of the norm. Of course, it happens. Practically growing up with a computer and having Internet access at a very young age, I became very familiar with technology navigation. In fact, I already knew that our online activity was always being tracked before I even knew it was a thing because whenever I type in my favorite websites into the search bar, I never have to finish typing the full web address. I can just scroll down to the first suggestion. At the time, I didn’t care because I was naïve and I always thought, “What’s the big deal? I have nothing to hide.”

However, after reading this insightful article, I realized that online tracking is a much bigger problem than I originally thought. The fact that I have nothing to hide is not the problem. The real problem is the fact that I cannot hide; I am like a sitting duck, for lack of a better analogy. My activity online is being tracked and formulated into a specific profile, so that it can be sold to different companies, whether these companies are advertisers, marketers, and any type of company that is willing to pay for my information: “The information that companies gather is anonymous, in the sense that Internet users are identified by a number assigned to their computer, not by a specific person’s name. Lotame, for instance, says it doesn’t know the name of users such as Ms. Hayes-Beaty – only their behavior and attributes, identified by code number” (Angwin).

In my opinion, I’m grateful for have read this article because now I am educated about the subject. I came to a realization that online tracking may seem harmless on the surface; however, it has the potential to become a very dangerous thing and I am definitely not okay with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment